This one has been on my mind for a while. Skillet chicken. The challenge was one pan. I want it to be easy for you and selfishly easy for me as I was a little lazy when the concept entered my head. No, I am not trying to steal anyone’s idea. Skillet chicken has been done before a million times. But, I haven’t done it and wanted to share my journey with you.
So what goes great with skillet chicken? Well, we need something that is going to stand up to the heat for the amount of time it takes to cook the chicken. Root veggies of course. Potatoes, carrots, beets, etc. Since I didn’t have beets in the house at the time of the cook, potatoes and carrots won the challenge. Great. Have beets? Throw em in!
I need a good herb now to season these magnificent underground roots. Well what goes well on potatoes AND chicken? Rosemary, man. That’s it.
Though for me the chicken isn’t done with just rosemary this time (yes rosemary on it’s own is awesome on chicken), but I wanted something bold. Funny enough, I was drinking coffee at the time of conception of this rub (see instagram), and what is more bold than coffee. Never mind the fact that I have been on a coffee rub kick lately (see coffee rubbed short ribs). I wanted a little more pep in this recipe though so I added some ancho chili powder and cinnamon for a tinge of sweetness. Winner winner chicken dinner. Let’s get to it.
So our protein and heavy veg is planned, what about one more side to round out the dish. Something a little lighter. Let’s try a kale salad. I had recently spotted a grilled kale salad on @primal_gourmet’s instagram feed and decided that would fit in perfectly here. I didn’t look at or even follow the recipe, I just knew that roasted kale was going to be a good base someday. Today is the day. So let’s keep this salad simple and just throw on some sliced tomatoes with toasted almonds and my Vegan Ranch Dressing, and we’ve got our selves a quick and simple side. Actually this side has potential to be a stand alone if you want and will likely be the subject of a future post(or head over to primal gourmet’s website and use his). If not, stay tuned.
So there you have it. One skillet, one salad bowl, complete dinner. I think you should reward yourself with all this time you are saving not doing dishes, and make yourself a nice adult beverage. Or two. Or three even. I’m not judge-y. I would if I could.Print
Coffee Rubbed Skillet Chicken with Grilled Kale Salad
- 1/3 cup of fine ground coffee
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder (or 1/4 tsp cayenne)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bunch of curly kale
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of vegan ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup of roasted almonds
- 6 medium sized carrots cut into chunks
- 1 lb small potatoes(mini) washed and cut in half
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Combine all ingredients into a small dish and whisk until combined
- Rinse chicken with water then pat dry
- Lay chicken on a cutting board or dish breast side down
- With a pair of kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the spine and remove the spine completely
- Flip chicken on it’s back
- Press firmly on chicken breasts to flatten the chicken (you will here some bones pop)
- Spray the chicken with olive oil and rub over all skin
- Sprinkle chicken with rub
- Place in a large skillet or baking dish
- Peel carrots (or just wash thoroughly)
- Cut carrots into chunks about 1″ long
- Rinse potatoes
- Cut potatoes in half
- Add cut carrots and potatoes to a plastic bag
- Add olive oil to bag and work/shake veggies until coated in oil
- sprinkle in the rosemary and work/shake veggies unti coated in rosemary
- Dump contents of bag into skillet or baking dish around the chicken
- Place chicken in the oven at 350 or on the BBQ at the same temp.
- As the chicken cooks, chop some almonds and add to a small dish.
- Place almonds in the oven to toast. (Watch carefully. They can over cook quickly)
- When the almonds are starting to turn brown, remove from the oven (roughly 5-10mins)
- Turn potatoes and carrots in the pan after 20mins to allow them to roast on another side
- Spray bunch of kale with olive oil (or drizzle if you don’t have a mister)
- Place kale on the hot BBQ
- Rotate kale until all sides are slightly charred (about 1 min/side)
- Remove kale from the BBQ
- Place in a serving dish and cut off lower stems held by the elastic (trim to the bottom of the leafy part)
- Cut grape tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on kale
- Sprinkle toasted almonds on top of the kale and tomatoes
- Remove the chicken from the oven when the breast reaches 165F and the thigh 185F
- Place the skillet or roasting pan on a trivet on the table
- Drizzle Vegan Ranch Dressing on the salad and place on the table
- Open a bottle of wine and pour into a glass
- Dive in and enjoy your simple and delicious dinner!
- Throw out that flyer on the fridge for KFC cuz you won’t need it anymore