Paleo Hanger Steak with Red Wine Sauce over Seared Asparagus and Sauteed Carrot Noodles
- 1lb – 1.5lb hanger steak (or steak of your preference)
- 1 bunch of asparagus (roughly 200g)
- 200g (2 cups) carrot noodles
- 150-200g small fryer peppers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tbsp tarragon to garnish
Red Wine Sauce
- 1 cup beef Broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 square of dark chocolate (70%)
- Remove the steak from its packaging and rinse/pat dry with paper towel if it is excessively ‘bloody’.
- Sprinkle all side of the steak with salt and pepper. Don’t be shy. You can hit it hard.
- Spiralize the carrots on a spiralizer or grater of your choice. You can leave them whole if they are smaller or cut into 1/4” slices on the bias if you don’t have a spiralizer.
- Wash the fryer peppers, pat dry, then sprinkle with olive oil. You can substitute strips of red or green pepper if you don’t have the fryer peppers.
- Rinse, dry and oil the asparagus as you did above with the peppers.
- Add the beef broth, red wine, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chopped chives, garlic, and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer.
- You want to reduce the broth by almost half. This will take 15-20 mins.
- Chop the tarragon.
- Heat the BBQ.
- Roast the peppers on the BBQ until the soften and start to brown.
- Cook the Steak to your desired internal temp (I do med-rare)
- Heat a skillet on med-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- When oil is hot, sauté the carrot noodles until soft (about 5 mins with stirring).
- Remove the carrots and set aside.
- When the steak is done, allow it to rest for 8-10 mins.
- While the steak is resting, grill the asparagus.
- The Red Wine sauce should be reduced enough at this point. Remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate.
- Plate the carrot noodles, asparagus, and peppers.
- Slice the steak on the bias and lay slices over the vegetables.
- Drizzle the red wine and chocolate sauce over top.
- arnish with the fresh chopped tarragon.
- Lightly slap your hand for stealing a piece of the steak. I know you did!