Paleo Sausage Medley on Grilled Kale Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- 4 Sausages (same or a medley of different sausages)
- 1 bunch of curly kale
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups of sliced cremini mushrooms
- Roasted chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
- Olive oil for spraying or drizzling
Honey Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp mustard (Dijon)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Heat the BBQ to 350 (you can also try to roast the kale in the oven which I have not done. Perhaps using the broiler.)
- Rinse the bunch of kale and dry, but do not remove the stems from the band, tie, or elastic (it makes it easier to handle).
- Spray or drizzle the leaves of the kale bunch with olive oil.
- When the BBQ has heated, place the kale on the grill.
- Monitor the kale closely. You don’t want it to go black, but you do want the ends to brown.
- Heat a skillet on the BBQ side burner or the stove on med-high heat.
- Flip the kale to another side once browning has occurred.
- Repeat this until the kale tips have been browned on all sides. The kale should also be a little limp now from being partially cooked.
- Remove the kale from the BBQ and set aside to cool.
- Place the sausages on the BBQ.
- Coat the hot skillet with a bit of oil.
- Add the cremini mushrooms to the hot oil in the skillet.
- While the sausages are cooking, cut the tomatoes into small wedges (or whatever you consider to be bite sized).
- Stir the mushrooms. You want a good caramelization (browning) to occur on the mushrooms.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Remove half of the avocado from the skin with a spoon.
- Slice the avocado crosswise in bite sized pieces.
- Cut the kale stems off below the leafy part of the bunch.
- Watch the sausages and mushrooms!!!
- Lay the grilled kale leaves in a bowl or on a serving plate.
- Place the sliced tomato randomly around on the leaves.
- Place the sliced avocado randomly around on the leaves.
- By this time the cremini mushrooms should be caramelized (if not before).
- Scoop them from the pan and scatter around on top of the salad.
- Remove the sausages from the grill (if you haven’t already). Internal temp should be a minimum of 165F.
- As the sausages are cooling, add all of the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Slice the cooler sausages into bit sized chunks.
- Place the sausages over the salad.
- Drizzle on half of the dressing.
- Sprinkle on the chopped nuts if you decide that is what you want to do.
- Serve, plate, and use the rest of the dressing on the plates!
- Eat, enjoy the fact that it was quick, you didn’t make a huge mess, and now you have time to text/call your friends and make plans for the weekend.